Recent Posts

Monday, January 22, 2018

TIME WELL SPENT



I've been tired a lot lately. I get up, I go to work, I come home, I make dinner, I watch tv or stare at my phone, I go to bed. I absolutely cherish my days off and try not to fill them completely with cleaning, laundry,  blogging, exercise, me time, and more tv, BUT I'm failing...miserably.  You know who's getting left out? My family. It happens so easily, because we spend our down time in the same space, I tricked myself into thinking that was enough.

IT'S NOT.

I missed my son and husband while they were often right beside me. A couple of days ago, I started to feel weighed down with life stuff and called my son from work. 

Me: "Would you like to make dinner together tonight after work"?
My son: "YES"!!

It was that simple. The excitement in his voice told me it was time to do more of these things. Also, that meal was amazing and all three of us ate together and talked. 

The following day, I shared what I was feeling with my husband, as I often do during our time in the car before work. He listened and reassured me that I'm a good mom blah blah blah blah blah. Even I was bored of this conversation. Raise your hand if you hear me? Anyone? 

Well, this is what I decided to do. Instead of raising my expectations to some unreasonable level (as many working moms do) I asked my boss if I could use a paid day off, at the last minute, when I know she could have really used my help at work today. I told her why, and she said yes. My son took the day off of school,  and I literally just looked up from the laptop
at him as he finished up some school work on the couch and said "I love you" to which he responded "I love you too". Now we are going to go for a walk, play a board game, take some photos, plan dinner, laugh and probably stare at our phones.  


If you have a life that allows you to take a day for whatever you need to make you sleep better at night, do it.  It's time well spent.

Thanks for reading,

Nikki


Pin It