Recent Posts

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

DO YOU FEEL GUILTY SAYING "NO"?

GUYS, we've all been there. You have no specific plans this weekend and you are looking forward to sitting in your sweats in front of the TV with your phone in your hand, ready to peruse social media during the commercials. 
And then your friend texts you. "Hey what are you doing on Friday?" Girl, issa trap! Instead of your friend being straightforward and saying: "I'm going to a 3 hour yoga class and would like you to come" or " I'm going shopping at the outlet mall 3 hrs from here and thought you'd like to come". They simply ask " Do you have plans?". You then have to ask yourself the hard question. Do I roll the dice and say "I have no plans" or do you lie and say "I have plans" or tell the honest truth which is "My only plans are to have an evening in doing nothing".  Here's my advice to you. If you feel pressured and answer "I have no plans" Please be open to whatever is going down on
Friday night. It may be a fancy 5 star dinner at that new joint that everyone's been talking about, or it may be driving a friend to the airport... in Long Beach.


You have to take responsibility for not being real with your friends, which takes me to option two: Lying and saying you have plans when indeed you don't. This option will NEVER turn out well (I've heard..wink) No matter what lie you come up with on the spot, it will come back around. For example,
You: "I have plans"
Friend: "Oh? what are you doing?"
You: "I..I, I told my mom I would help her organize the kitchen cupboards."
Friend: "You can't get out of it"?
You:"No, she's been wanting to do it for a while and I keep saying no"
Friend:"That's too bad, you're so sweet for helping your mom. Drake's hosting my husbands birthday party and I wanted you to come. We're going to the spa first for hair and makeup. But it's ok, I'll ask *insert that one friends name that you never liked here*"
Then cut to your Mom running into your friend and them having a conversation about how you're planning on organizing the kitchen cupboards on Friday. Just throw the whole night away.

 The last option, is the best option. HONESTY.
You: "I have plans on doing nothing but relaxing."


Period, no explanation on how tired you are, or how little time you have for yourself. Just "no". Try it! It's also a great way to socially clean house, as the real friends always understand and are confident enough to know there is no secret plot to NOT hang out with them. Does this mean you'll never find yourself in a not so great situation because you said 'Yes? Absolutely not, that's just part of life, but the sweet spot is in the balance.

When you pour that glass of wine, kick back, open Instagram and see what everyone else is up to.

Thanks for reading,
Nikki Pin It