Recent Posts

Monday, February 26, 2018

MY PROS AND CONS AS A CANADIAN LIVING IN CALIFORNIA

Most of you already know, but some of you may not. I moved to Los Angeles 7 years ago with my little family from Toronto, Canada. I am a proud Canadian born and raised in Alberta. It can be compared to the America's mid-west. I was often the only black girl for my entire school life. From Elementary to High School I learned how to defend my Jamaican heritage, embrace my differences, and love my  country. When we moved here, it was tough. I struggled with mild depression due to fear of the unknown, and being further away from my family and home that I had ever been.

THE ANNUAL FAIR ACROSS THE STREET FROM OUR HOME
LA BREA TARPITS


LOCAL COFFEE SHOP PALMS

VENICE BEACH SUN HAT DIY


THE LIGHTS AT LACMA





STUDIO CITY FARMERS MARKET
And then one day, I noticed the hummingbirds busily buzzing around the gorgeous variety of flowers that lined my street. A street that I had walked a hundred times over and had never noticed it's beauty until just that moment. Then I noticed the sun was shining and the weather was sweet (copyright Bob Marley). Fast forward 7 years and I'm looking at my son lying on the couch finally recovering from a nasty bout of Bronchitis. Yesterday was a trying day. My son has not had a pediatrician since we moved here. We have relied on the advice of a new doctor every visit. Most have been great, some have been mediocre. It made me really miss home. I had no idea how fortunate I was living in a country that figures all the hard stuff out for you. The health care system here was crippling. I still don't fully understand how it works. It has been explained to me several times in several ways. STILL DON'T GET IT.

Now, having said all that. I've compiled a list of pros and cons for anyone who is considering making the move to or from here. I also want to add that, if you are a fiercely intelligent person who has the time and energy and money to commit to finding the best health care for you and your family. You will be just fine.


Blue and Flesh Simple T Chart by guiltfreestyle Pin It